HMCS ASSINIBOINE, Second of Name, a name that holds an honoured place in the story of the RCN, was laid down in Sorel, Quebec on 19 May, 1952, launched on 2 December, 1954, and commissioned 16 August, 1956.  Her displacement was 2,600 tons, length of 366’, breadth of 42’, draught forward 13’ and draught aft 13’ 7½”.  She had a horsepower of 30,000 and a speed in excess of 25 knots.  Her machinery was geared turbines, 2 shafts, and 2 water tube boilers.  Her armament was four 3-inch 50caliber guns, two 40mm Bofors, two triple-barrelled depth-charge mortars (Limbo), and homing torpedoes.  She was also equipped with radar and direction finding equipment.  She was the first to be fitted with Canadian equipment from stem to stern.

An official badge was designed, described in heraldic terms as, “Or, a bend wavy Azure charged with two cotises (diagonal slender lines) wavy Argent, over all a bison’s head caboshed proper”.  The golden background represents the fine wheat-growing region through which the river flows and the blue and white “bend” is a symbol for the river.  The ships colours are black and gold.

ASSINIBOINE sailed on 18 August, 1956 and first went to PEI to pay tribute to the first ASSINIBOINE before commencing exercises.  During the next years she accompanied other ships in exercises and visited many local and foreign ports where a warm reception was always received.

In 1959, she was transferred to the Pacific Command, where she continued her exercises and visited many ports.  This continued until 1962 when she came into drydock at Esquimalt for conversion to modernization.  At this time, it was decided to pay off the ship so on 15 June, 1962, the White Ensign and commissioning pennant were struck and HMCS ASSINIBOINE paid off into the hands of HMC Dockyard.

On 28 June 1963, she was recommissioned on completion of conversion and she commenced tests and trials and once again resumed her career as one of the proudest ships on Her Majesty’s Canadian Navy.